HomeTechnical Support » Error Messages

Error Messages

Error Msg: Registry entry 'Dir=' doesn't exist Messages in this topic - RSS

Bruce

4/7/2016
Bruce
Thank you Nancy. We'll try that (PrintBoss has a setting for everything - though they aren't always obvious).

After I posted the question, I discovered from the client that they have been clicking on the "Retry" button for a number of years. So what seemed like a problem to me was just Standard Operating Procedure to them! smile
0 link
Nancy
Administrator

4/7/2016
Nancy
Administrator
There could be a delay in reading the registry which is why the retry button works. Try modifying the setting in PrintBoss under Options\Configurations\Legacy Virus Scanner Allowances. As show below, PrintBoss will wait 500 milliseconds before trying the registry.
0 link
Bruce

4/5/2016
Bruce
Hello:

We have a client experiencing this error when trying to run PrintBoss. In response to the dialogue box, I removed the Dir name from the Registry. That worked initially but the error reappeared a day later. Re-inserting the missing name doesn't help. However I've noticed that clicking on the "Retry" button allows PrintBoss to start (their dialogue box has a "Retry" button so it differs from your screen image here).

In response to your 3 suggestions:
1) Indeed they are using Windows 7 (64-bit) but are already using a UNC path
2) Their upgrade was purchased April 2013 so this could be a factor however it worked until last week and of course "nothing has changed"
3) The user has Read/Write access to the Registry because I can edit the PrintBoss key

Can you suggest any other factors? Thank you.
0 link
Nancy
Administrator

2/12/2015
Nancy
Administrator

According to Microsoft, the registry becomes virtualized when the user does not have sufficient rights to the registry. PrintBoss produces the Virturalized Registry message when it cannot write to HKEY_LOOCAL_MACHINE\Software.

To address this issue, try the following:
1. Sometimes with Windows7, the network requires the UNC path rather than a mapped drive.
2. Update PrintBoss, after January 2014 PrintBoss contains a re-try loop to test registry access prior to sending the message.
3. Verify that the user does have, at a minimum, Read access to the registry key.
edited by Nancy on 2/12/2015
0 link